Monday, December 11, 2006

Island life, to Zanzibar, to the South!

I spent longer in Mafia than I expected -- what with a beach as far as the eye could see, lovely people I met along the way, travelers and islanders, many laughs, including a very joyful birthday party involving a bottle of whisky and a bottle of gin, and the simplicity of Mafia Island life, I was in no hurry to leave.

But I did want to see Zanzibar, and here I am, ensconced in the maze of Stone Town. (I felt no need to go to the beach beyond walking along the shoreline, being thoroughly singed from my time on Mafia) -- so it's just been walking around, talking to people along the way, and serenely enjoying the calm that is Stone Town life.







I leave in a few hours back to Dar to safari in southern Tanzania, including Selous (the largest game reserve in all Africa), Ruaha and Mikumi. These parts (especially Selous and Ruaha) are relatively sparse in terms of tourists (there are some visitors, but these places have relatively few compared to the other big-name draws in Tanzania.)

I am guessing, dear family and friends, that I will be out of contact for most or all of the next 10-12 days, so if you send me email or look for my updates and see nothing, please be patient with me! Of course, if I should find internet in those parts, I will write sooner.

To all in case you don't hear from me before then, Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home