Saturday, February 17, 2007

In Rio, in Carnival

The buoyant energy of the brilliant sun and the lifeforce of the ocean here in beautiful Copacabana mixes with blood of the people of Europe, Africa and indigenous South America and ferments into a potent concoction that is the stuff of legends.







I landed late and the possibility of finding accomodations looked dubious, but as luck would have it and with some help of a friendly Brasilian, I found a place to stay in Copacabana for my 3 days here in Rio. Today I found (reasonably priced) tickets to the sambadrom! I'm on my way to one of the most famous shows on earth, a one-time occurence never to be identically reproduced -- it starts at 7pm and finishes at 6am -- how crazy is that?!?!!

LATER:

Brazilians devote a huge part of their lives to the culture of celebration of Carnival. It is a spectacular display of music and dance with ornate parade floats and costumes around a central theme. It's like nothing I've ever seen; the beauty, the pagentry, the energy, the intricacy -- of the costumes, the music, the dancers, the whole night.



The rest of these are thanks to Luisa Pichardo!













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home